Lets Work On That Accent!!
(Posted On: 03-05-2015)
Accents plays an important role in any actor's repertoire. It adds another layer which sets one apart from others. Now how good are you at it is another story altogether. Here are few simple steps that you can follow to nail your accents;
1. Choose your dialect wisely. First and foremost see what kind of roles are you approached for. If you see a pattern forming then we would advise you to start from there. Pick that dialect and run with it because it is the one which is most marketable.
2. Look it up. Do your research. Hit the internet and get all the material you need. Shortlist the material and study them carefully while making notes.
3. Practice. And practice well. Hang out with people using such dialect or language. Converse with them in the most basic sentences. Like when you go out with them try ordering food on behalf of them. This will help you be comfortable with the language without making it a task.
4. Time to get some professional help. Get a qualified coach that will help you learn the basics as well the pronunciations of the dialect that you're targeting. Once you start the learning process make sure to send in your recorded MP3 files to your coach so that he/she can evaluate and analyse them accordingly. This will help you pick up the pace of the process.
5. Its not an overnight transformation. Don't get carried away by advertisements online claiming to teach you an accent in 18 hrs or so. They are misleading and they definitely won't work. Learning a performance quality accent may not be an instantaneous project, but knowing the steps to take and investing the time and energy to see the project through to the end can be very rewarding both creatively and for your acting career.